Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Prom Dress vs. Wedding Dress






Should A Prom Dress Cost More Than A Wedding Dress





It seems the recession  has not affected the prom industry, where prices remain pretty expensive.  I ran into a mom friend at the mall over the weekend who told me stories of buying her daughter’s first prom dress. She has kids ranging from elementary to high school.  Her daughter is a sophomore I think, so she will have two more proms to go after this one.

They went to a very trendy store in Tulsa to look for dresses. The salesperson asked what the mom’s budget was and she replied about $150. The lady said our dresses begin at $300!  WT?

My friend was floored! She didn’t want to embarrass her daughter and wanted her to have a dress she wouldn’t be embarrassed to wear. So they looked and tried to keep the price as low as possible. She ended up with a dress off the clearance rack. Originally in the high $500's, she bought the dress for $399!  Ouch! 

However, I do remember my friend saying it was MORE THAN SHE PAID FOR HER OWN WEDDING DRESS! (Which I think was a rental)

My friend left the store worried about telling her husband  about what she had done. They went to the mall and priced dresses there but said $300 was really where most of the prom dress were starting . (Her daughter wanted a ball gown style dress not a short cocktail dress but even those were usually in the $300s.)

My friend is hoping her daughter will recycle the dress her senior year, but I told her the only way she’ll wear that dress again is if she gets invited to another school’s prom. Right?

So what do you think?  Should a prom dress cost more than a wedding dress? How much did you pay for a dress? How much should you pay? Any chance she’ll rewear it? Or consign it?




What about the poor guys? Should the girls help pay for a limo and dinner?






Does the limo, prom tickets and dinner equal out to what the girl spends on her dress, nails, hair and shoes?







Don't forget to visit our friendly neighborhood Coburn's Tuxedos at Arrowhead Mall for all your prom needs!
 
If you are in need of a rental for prom, a wedding, or any other formal event, its best to come in as early as possible to reserve your tuxedo. This will make sure your items are reserved for your event. Come in and check out our latest styles and colors.

1 comment:

  1. Wow....
    I'm really sorry. I can't delete from my phone. Kayla feel free to remove that. Haha
    I copy and pasted this long reply but I'm laughing so hard from that comment so basically I would not pay that much. No way. There are too many good deals on these fb Craigslist groups basically. Nothing wrong w used for prom
    Wedding? Uh if check on the couple and make sure they're not divorced and you're setting yourself up for a bad omen first.

    ReplyDelete